Saturday, September 16, 2006

Casting Pearls Before Swine


What a waste of fine music to play it in front of the fake Cowboy-in-Chief. Baba Wawa was the MC? Um, okay. Bushes feign interest in Jazz.

President Bush and first lady Laura Bush hosted the evening, which began with a dinner in the State Dining Room. The roughly 120 guests walked to the elegant East Room where a shiny, black baby grand piano graced a stage between life-size portraits of George and Martha Washington.
"President and Mrs. Bush, this is the jazzy-est party you've ever had, isn't it?" asked broadcast journalist Barbara Walters, the master of ceremonies.
The president and Mrs. Bush nodded in time when singer Lisa Henry started the show with a song that begins "I'm going to Kansas City ..."

Of all the pResidents to honor the Thelonius Monk Institute...this is surely the poorest fit. If Bush reck-ah-nahzed any of these artists it would be a small miracle. Few turn down an opportunity to attend a White House function...respect for the office, not necessarily the "man" in office.


--->
The rest of the article:

Singer Anita Baker performed a soulful "My Funny Valentine," and pianist Herbie Hancock played a jazz tune called "Watermelon Man."
"Over the years, visitors to this home have been fortunate to hear some of America's greatest musical performances, from John Philip Sousa to Yo-Yo Ma," Mrs. Bush said.
"Jazz is an American cultural treasure and one of our country's richest contributions to the world of music, and for 20 years, the Thelonius Monk Institute has nourished this art form, and carried on Mr. Monk's legacy by cultivating a new generation of performers," she said.
Other performers who played were Terri Lyne Carrington, Ron Carter, Greg Diaz, George Duke, Nnenna Freelon, Alan Hampton, Danilo Perez, Roy Hargrove, Wayne Shorter, Helen Sung, Clark Terry and Bobby Watson.
Fats Domino, a musician Bush visited when he was in New Orleans to mark the fifth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, was at the White House as well. Other guests included Mrs. Bush's mother, Jenna Welch; various lawmakers; and executives of PepsiCo, Northrop Grumman, IBM, Verizon, United Airlines and AT&T.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The President and Mrs. Bush nodded in time..."

Dey got rhythm?

Laura's humming:

"Old Man Trouble, I don't mind him
You won't find him 'round my door
I got starlight, I got sweet dreams
I got my man, who could ask for anything more
Who could ask for anything more?"

Missing lyric: "I got Xanax, I got Zoloft
I got prescripts, who could ask for anything more?"

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My apologies to George Gershwin, my favorite artist. But I think he'd understand.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You called Shitboy "Man". Please don't make that mistake again. Shitboy is a sociopathic creature without a soul. I'm not even sure he qualifies for primate status.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Panda said...

Heh heh...the Gershwin fits right in and I'm certain he wouldn't mind in this context.

~~~~~~~

Oh, yeah....I put "man" in quotation marks for that very reason. Yes, Chimps get a bum rap outta that lout.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home