Sunday, October 29, 2006

Dick Says Torture is a No-Brainer



Dick interview by Scott Hennen, WDAY at Radio Day at the White House
The Vice President's Office
...
Q Would you agree a dunk in water is a no-brainer if it can save lives?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: "It's a no-brainer for me, but for a while there, I was criticized as being the Vice President "for torture." We don't torture. That's not what we're involved in. We live up to our obligations in international treaties that we're party to and so forth. But the fact is, you can have a fairly robust interrogation program without torture, and we need to be able to do that.

And thanks to the leadership of the President now, and the action of the Congress, we have that authority, and we are able to continue the program.
...

Follow-up
Remarks by the Vice President to the Travel Pool
On Board Air Force Two, En Route Washington, D.C.

Q ...we'd like to ask you to clarify those comments that have now been in the news today concerning...

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I was being interviewed by a talk show host. I don't talk about techniques and I wouldn't. I have said that the interrogation program for a select number of detainees is very important. It has been I think one of the most valuable intelligence programs we have. And I believe it has allowed us to prevent terrorist attacks against the United States. I did not talk about specific techniques involved...

Q So it was not about water boarding, even though he asked you about dunking in the water?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I didn't say anything about water boarding. Those were all his comments. He didn't even use that phrase.

Q He said dunking in the water.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I didn't say anything, he did.
...


Dunk...immerse into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate.
Waterboarding...it never goes out of style.


-end-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home